In regional news:

The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced a quieter than usual prediction for the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season. For the season, which officially runs from June 1 to November 30, NOAA is predicting a 70 percent likelihood of 6 to 11 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 3 to 6 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including zero to 2 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). While a below-normal season is likely (70 percent), NOAA says there is also a 20 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of an above-normal season. Cooler water in the Atlantic and an El Nino in the Pacific are behind the expectation of the below-normal activity.

Read more from Insurance Journal here.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *