In research news:

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released national summary data on nonfatal injuries and illnesses in 2014. BLS pegs the total number of occupational injuries and illnesses at nearly 3 million. Among those, 2.8 million, or 95.1 percent, were injuries. Nearly 2.1 million injuries, or 75 percent of those in private industry, occurred in service-providing industries. The remaining 700,000 injuries, or 25 percent, occurred in goods-producing industries.

Trade, transportation, and utilities had the most injuries among private industries in 2014, with 770,500. Within this service-providing industry, retail trade had 404,900 injuries, or 3.5 per 100-full-time workers. Among other service-providing industries, health care and social assistance had 575,000 injuries, or 20.5 percent of private industry injuries. Among goods-producing industries in 2014, manufacturing had the highest number of injuries with 440,500. The number of injuries per 100 full-time workers was 3.6, compared with 3.0 for all private industries. Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting had 5.2 injuries per 100 full-time workers, driven by 6.8 injuries per 100 full-time workers in animal production.

Read more and access associated graphics via BLS here.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *